Dr. Shanta’s vision is to set up a Cancer Screening and Prevention Centers in every district of Tamil Nadu. CIF embarked on this project in 2017 on the 90th birthday of Dr. Shanta.
Early detection of cancer increases the chances of survival tremendously. The centers will be fitted with the state of the art equipment and staffed with qualified oncologists. After initial diagnosis, patients will be referred to Adyar Cancer Institute for advanced treatment, if necessary.
What is Cancer Screening?
Screening refers to the use of simple tests across a healthy population in order to identify individuals who have disease, but do not yet have symptoms.
Examples include breast cancer screening using mammography and cervical cancer screening using Pap Smears etc.
Why early detection of cancer important?
Early detection of cancer greatly increases the chances for successful treatment. There are two major components of early detection of cancer.
- Educating the public to promote early diagnosis and make them aware of its importance
- Screening to identify public with potential risk for cancer.
How will these centers function?
Cancer Screening & Preventions Centers will
- Define the frequency and ages at which screening should be performed
- Manage strict quality control of systems for the screening tests
- Set up procedures for referral and treatment of abnormalities
- Most importantly reach out to the village population for initial screening
- Recall individuals for repeat screening
- Follow up those with identified abnormalities
- Monitor and evaluate the progress
Is screening for cancer expensive?
Yes and no.
Affordable testing method for cervical cancer using acetic acid has been developed in India. Tests like pap smear and testing for HPV virus to detect cervical cancer in women are affordable. Low cost clinical breast exam can detect breast cancer early. Public can be educated on breast self-exam for raising awareness among women at risk. Sophisticated testing like Mammography are expensive. It can be employed in localities where such sophisticated tests are needed.
How can I help?
Spread the word among your friends and encourage them to donate!
Share the video of Shanta’s appeal in Facebook.
Donate generously. Every donation however small is important. Our goal is to raise one million dollars for this project.
- Provide easy access to quality preventive care to people who live in south Tamil Nadu who cannot afford to travel to Chennai for diagnosis.
- Help with early diagnosis of cancer which will greatly increase the chances of survival.
- Offer palliative care for patients with advanced stage of cancer
- Educate village population about cancer and promote tobacco sessation
Diagnosis Centers in Pudukkottai, Thiruvannamali and Sivagangai are fully operational. We are raising funds for setting up a corpus fund so that these centers will continue to run without interruption. Please donate generously!
Pudukkottai Center Staff
Thiruvannamalai Center Staff
Sivagangai Center Staff